What's in your Asian cinema collection?

Discussion in 'General Palaver' started by Troika, Feb 19, 2005.

1. Mandi Apple The Acid Queen

2. Midori no Saru Invoker of Azarak

I think V has probably reached the DVD event horizon - i.e. is probably acquiring DVDs at a greater rate then they can be watched.

For those daunted by the prospect of buying both Lady Snowblood movies - the first one is miles better than the second, so you could hold off buying the second one for a considerable time, and only buy it when you are in a completist mood. Plus the Animeigo region 1 is the best edition to buy.
  3. Mandi Apple The Acid Queen

Ugh, I know that feeling - we've got tons of stuff we've barely even taken the plastic off let alone popped on the DVD, but that's because we hardly ever have time to watch a movie that won't upset Astrid, being so tiny :( So it's eternal repeats of Father Ted and Top Gear at Apple Towers :(

I second that :D I still don't have the sequel, I keep hearing it's not all that so I'll wait to pick it up :D
  4. Chryse Guest

I think this is everything for me:

Ju-On: The Grudge
    Ju-On: The Grudge 2
    Ringu
    Dark Water
    The Day That Doesn’t Exist (VHS)
    July 13 (VHS)
    Crazy Safari (VHS)
    Visible Secret
    Nightmares in Precinct 7
    Bio-Zombie
    Wild Zero
    St. John’s Wort (VCD)
    Tales of the Unusual (VCD)
    Kakashi (VCD)
    The Quiet Family
    Foul King
    A Tale of Two Sisters
    Three
    Vampire Effect
    Suicide Club
    Chungking Express
    Fallen Angels
    Happy Together
    In the Mood for Love
    The Men Who Tread on the Tiger’s Tail (VHS)
    One Wonderful Sunday (VHS)
    Drunken Angel (VHS)
    Rashomon (VHS)
    Seven Samurai
    Ikiru
    Scandal (VHS)
    High and Low
    The Hidden Fortress
    Yojimbo
    Sanjuro
    Red Beard
    Ran
    Dersu Urzala (VHS)
    Kagemusha (VHS)
    Dreams (VHS)
    Rhapsody in August (VHS)
    Kwaidan (VHS)
    Sonatine (VHS)
    Kids Return
    Hana-Bi
    Kikujrio
    Battle Royale
    The Return of the Five Deadly Venoms
    Once Upon a Time in China 2
    Once Upon a Time in China 3
    Fong Sai Yuk
    Fong Sai Yuk 2
    The Bodyguard from Beijing
    High Risk
    Fist of Legend (VHS)
    Swordsman II
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
    Fulltime Killer
    The Mission
    PTU
    Three Outlaw Samurai
    Shall We Dance? (VHS)
    Tampopo (VHS)
    In the Realm of the Senses (VHS)
    In the Realm of Passion (VHS)
    Whispering Corridors
    Memento Mori
    Daimajin (VHS)
    Dial D for Demons
    Horror Hotline…Big Head Monster
    New Blood
    Avalon
    Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence
    Evil Dead Trap
    Freeze Me
    Good Men, Good Women
    The Puppetmaster
    Flowers of Shanghai
    Fly Me to Polaris
    Kiss Me, Maria
    The Chinese Feast
    Green Snake (VHS)
    Wicked City
    Wicked City (anime)
    Cowboy Bebop, Sessions 1-4
    Cowboy Bebop: Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door
    The Big O, vol. 1-4
    Serial Experiments: Lain, vol. 1-4
    Metropolis
    Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade
    Audition
    Chinese Odyssey 2002
    Samurai Fiction
    Versus
    Junk
    Tomie
    Tomie: Replay
    Ugetsu (VHS)
    Spirited Away
    Eyes of the Spider
    The Serpent’s Path
    Cure
    Kourei
    Charisma
    Kairo
    Bright Future
    Doppelganger
    Godzilla, King of the Monsters
    Godzilla vs. Mothra
    King Kong vs. Godzilla
    The Terror of Mechagodzilla
    Godzilla 2000
    Godzilla Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack (VCD)
    Who Am I?
    Farewell, My Concubine
    Inner Senses
    Shaolin Soccer
    Akira
    Raise the Red Lantern (VHS)
    1:00 AM (VHS)
    Bangkok Haunted
    The Eye
    Chushingura
    Zatoichi and the Chest of Gold (VHS)

Still a lot of holes to plug. I definitely need to pick up some Ozu films. And Godzilla vs. the Smog Monster.
  5. johnmcf2005 Persona User

I forgot to put Dark Water on my list. That's quite a list there Chryse!
  6. Alex Apple Lord Snowblood Apple

Great list Chryse! And that Godzilla movie sounds like it rules (rolls off to Poker Industries to spend some more cash with them).
  7. Mandi Apple The Acid Queen

It's out of print at Poker, but that doesn't mean you won't soon be getting a little smoggy gift from me Alex, amazon.co.uk is very useful like that :hug:

Astonishing list Chryse :D
  8. Chryse Guest

Left Stray Dog off the list, one of my favorite Kurosawa's. (It's a nice Criterion edition, too.)
    Edit: Oh yeah, and No Regrets for Our Youth (VHS), Kurosawa's beautifully shot postwar propaganda film, starring Ozu favorite, Setsuko Hara.

Thanks.

G vs the Smog Monster is the trippiest of the 70s G films. I've had a tape of it for years, but it's getting worn out.

From what I understand, a lot of the hardcore G-fans consider it the nadir of the series. I don't know why. It's such a messed up, trippy film, with animated sequences, a psychedelic scene, a weird monster, and a bizarre score that makes it seem as if Godzilla's drunk. And G comes up with a new use for his atomic breath. Fine stuff.
  9. Midori no Saru Invoker of Azarak

It is shocking that this is not available on a decent DVD at the moment. It's an important film that should be on R2 Europe of R1. But no - apparently the Chinese version has burnt on Chinese and English subs and the only other alternative is a Japanese R2. The same goes for a lot of important Chinese films that for some reason only seem to have been worth releasing long ago in the VHS era.
  10. Gambit1138 Guest

A Tale of Two Sisters
    Battle Royale
    Bunshinsaba
    Dark Water
    The Eye
    The Eye 2
    Infection
    The Ju-on Series
    Ju-rei
    Kairo
    Kourei
    Oldboy
    One Missed Call
    Phone
    Premonition
    Ring Series
    St. John's Wort
    Shutter
  11. Chryse Guest

Just glanced at my Red Lantern tape. It was released by Orion, so that gives at least a partial explanation as to why it wasn't put out on R1 when DVD took off in the 90s. And then there's the infamous Miramax debacle, which held up, and I assume is still holding up, quite a few films. Who all was releasing the films in VHS? ("Farewell..." was Miramax, and that came out ages ago.)

I suspect that, at least with regards to art cinema from mainland China, it probably doesn't seem profitable enough for companies to buy the rights/invest in. Martial arts, action, horror, these have a definite market at the moment. Art cinema, not so much. Just an impression, though. Could be wrong.

Sounds like a job for Criterion. Or at least HVE.
  12. randomizer Guest

Alright, let me tell my small list of Asian DVDs aswell then... (non-anime)

A Tale of Two Sisters
    Uzumaki
    GO!
    Laundry
    Ping Pong
    Kyoki no Sakura
    Ringu
    Battle Royale
    Casshern (three disc box)
    Moon Child
    Oldboy
    Kairo
    R-Point
    Ichi the Killer
    Dead or Alive trilogy
    Shichinin no Samurai
    Audition
    Dark Water

Might 'ave forgittin' somethan', but it aint nothin' much anyway... But I have some nice non-asian films in the collections, so I'm not sad ;) This only means that I'm a mightier Pirate than all of you! Muahah! *drinks some rome but spills most of it into my beard* (yes, the pirates accent in the beginning was planned.. or wait, was is Scotish?!)

Anyway, on top of my DVDs-to-buy-list is: Jisatsu Saakuru, Snake of June, The Man in White, The Laughing Frog, A Day on the Planet, Tokyo 10+01, Wild Zero and more... But I'm a poor student that have to take them one by one, month by month :p
  13. Vovin Guest

uppdate time :lol:

Attack the Gas Station!
    The Blue Light
    Bhoot
    Battle royale
    Crouching tiger hidden dragon / Wo hu zang long
    Dark water
    The Happiness of the Katakuris
    Hero
    H
    The Isle
    Macross Plus: episodes 1-4
    Metropolis (anime)
    Phone
    Resurrection of the Little Match Girl
    The ring / Ringu
    Ring 2 / Ringu 2
    Ring – 0 – Birthday / Ringu 0 - Baasudei
    Schoolday of the dead / Shisha no gakuensai
    Spirited away
    Uzumaki
    Vampire hunters (Tsui Hark)
    Wishing Stairs
    Zatoichi (Takeshi Kitano )

season 1 and 2 of Ranma 1/2
    Season 1 Naruto
  14. AmongTheOrchids Honey... FLASH!

When I compare my collection of DVDs in general to anyone I know... I'm proud of mine's vast diversity and eclectic nature... I've been so humbled since I've started posting here though... Mine feels pathetic compared to everone elses... but I'm proud still... Here it goes:

Acacia
    A Tale of Two Sisters
    Audition
    Battle Royale
    Berserk (Vol. 1-6)
    Charissma
    Dark Water
    Dolls
    The Eye
    Ghost in the Shell
    Ichi The Killer
    Infection
    Isola
    Ju-on: The Curse
    Ju-on: The Curse 2
    Ju-on: The Grudge
    Ju-on: The Grudge 2
    Kairo
    Memento Mori
    Millennium Atress
    One Missed Call
    Oldboy
    Premonition
    Ring
    Spiral
    Ring 2
    Ring 0
    The Ring Virus
    Seance (Korei)
    Spirited Away
    Suicide Club
    Tokyo Godfathers
    Trigun (Vol. 1- 8 )

I hate to say it... but my growing wishlist seems more impressive than my standing collection:

Tetsuo: The Iron Man
    Casshern (Seen, loved, don't yet own)
    St. John's Wort
    Hypnosis
    Cure
    9 Souls
    Red Eye
    Cello
    The Wig
    Shikoku
    Moonchild
    Shutter
    Wild Zero
    Parasite Eve
    Into The Mirror
    Gawi
    Uzumaki
    Lovesick Dead
    Wishing Stairs
    Long Dream
    Last Exile (all Vols.) (Seen some, loved, don't yet own)
    Chobits (All Vols.) (Seen most, loved, don't yet own)
    RahXephon (All Vols.) (Seen most, loved, don't yet own)
    Perfect Blue (Seen, loved, don't yet own)
    Koma

There are probably many wish list items I'm forgetting... and it's always growing... but at this particular momtent... this is it.
  15. Mandi Apple The Acid Queen

Still looks like an excellent list to me :thumbs: Of your wishlist, I would be personally moving Cure and Uzumaki to the must-buy section, I doubt many people would disagree that those two are essential items...

*waits for ton of disagreement posts* :hiding: :lol:
  16. AmongTheOrchids Honey... FLASH!

Honestly, Mandi... I'm really hesitant to even get Cure at all...

You see... Kiyoshi Kurosawa and I don't really get along. It's sad, I know, but so very true.

I first saw Korei because your review was so dazzling and the screenshots were so exciting... I hated it. I wanted so badly to like it... but it just didn't do a thing for me... at all. So I chalked that one up to it not being my type of story... I hate the bad things happening to good people plot style... it's just depressing... But I forgave Kurosawa for this one because it was very well directed, but the story itself was borrowed from a French(maybe British?) novel... I figured it wasn't his fault...

So I decided to give Kairo a try... Although I didn't HATE it... I really disliked it... I was even more excited to see this one, based not only on your excellent review, but simply on the fact that I'd never heard a bad thing about it from anyone.. anywhere. I understand that Kairo is deep and supposedly requires multiple viewings, but I don't feel that I missed anything and it didn't mean enough for me... there were SO many plot holes ina plot that didn't capture me, full of characters I didn't care about... I wanted even worse to love this one... because I'd been SO excited... I couldn't forgive Kurosawa this time, though, because this was entirely his creation... and I didn't like a bit of it. I was crushed.

The worst part is... I saw them both in the same day... all that dissappointment... all at once... it was unbearable. I had even bought Charissma too, in preparation for a Kurosawa marathon... needless to say... I still haven't watched Charissma.

I see everyone gushing about how amazing Kiyoshi Kurosawa is... and I can't help but feel... unentusiastic... it really does depress me... I'm so left out... I don't like anything I've seen at all...

I'm afraid that Cure will do to me what Korei and Kairo both did... and that scares me. I trust your opinions Mandi, and if you can somehow convince me that Cure is different... I'd love to give Kurosawa another try.

Uzumaki looks like oodles of fun, though!
  17. Alex Apple Lord Snowblood Apple

Hey, don't fret, I've only seen half of Cure, even now. And I stillhaven't seen A Tale of Two Sisters.

Charisma is... difficult. You'd be much better going for something like Doppelganger if you want to chip away at the Kurosawa thing...
  18. gwyddon Rusting the world!

Nah, I don't think Doppelganger would help much in changing his mind.. To me it was a rather inferior film (granted, with some really excellent acting by Koji Yakusho). I'd personally pick either Cure or Bright Future - but a problem is that both of them are much slower and kiyoshikurosawa-y than Kourei and Kairo..

I guess we'll just accept AmongTheOrchids as a lost cause - not everybody has to like Kiyoshi Kurosawa :)
    I'm actually kind of the opposite - I really like most of Kurosawa's films but I disliked Uzumaki.. however I think it's still an essential film to see for the reason that it's an important step into the gaping maw of madness that asian extreme is and prepares you for the tonsils of madness that comes next! muhahaha :lol:
  19. AmongTheOrchids Honey... FLASH!

Well, gwyddon, first of all, I'm a lady :roll: hehe

Secondly... I was afraid the whole time that I was a lost cause... I guess Kiyoshi Kurosawa just isn't for me... too bad I guess... it all makes me feel a little out of place in the Asian cinema world.

Oh well.:-|
  20. gwyddon Rusting the world!

Whoops, sorry! Sloppy writing, the 'he' just came automatically.. :oops:

Oh, don't worry! :hug: Asian cinema is a big area, with plenty of room for disagreement. Nobody's left outside just for not liking one director. There are even people who consider Ringu to be rather uninteresting.
    Not all do consider Kiyoshi Kurosawa to be excellent, many are left cold by the problems that his films admittedly do have. You're not alone.
    In fact, I think most of us who do like Kurosawa can totally understand why some doesn't like him despite trying - his films are often.. bleak, very distant and uninvolving. It's simply a matter of taste, and especially mood.
    I see his films as mood pieces, just like Wong Kar-wai's films.